return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Feeding BTS

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Skinks ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Sat Aug 21 10:34:34 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

As your BTS is still growing, I suggest feeding him every day till he's closer to 18 months, then drop to every other day. What I did to ensure my BTS ate his greens, is to put all his greens (collards, dandelions, mustard greens, endive, escarole and other dark leafy greens listed as safe for iguanas or bearded dragons www.beautifuldragons.com has a great list for dragons that can be followed with bts's). I typically mixed two staple greens (ie collard greens and dandelion greens) with a couple vegetables, such as bell peppers, zuccini, radish greens etc. and blend it all up till everything is coarsely chopped.

I then add a little bit of calcium powder (a pinch or two depending on how much chopped greens I have (I typically make about a cup chopped per batch) and a pinch of multivitamin powder and mix well. I store this in a tight closing container in the fridge for 7 days...usually with two skinks, this is enough to last about a week. When I feed my skinks, I add a bit of fruit (I think only 10-20% of total volume of fruit is all that is needed for skinks.) 2-3 times a week.

To encourage the skinks to eat the chopped greens I always just added about a teaspoon or two of low fat canned cat food, usually Fancy Feast chicken, turkey, beef or mix chicken/turkey. I never used any of the seafood ones. I only use the cat food as a sort of binder, to help mix up all the greens. I place this on a lid or shallow bowl.

One thing I discovered is if a little bit of crested gecko diet is sprinkled over the greens, this seems to entice BTS's to eat greens quicker. I had crested geckos most of the time I had BTS's so it was no problem adding some of the mixed diet (comes in a powder, just mix one part powder to two parts water).

Once my BTS's were adults, (2 years about) I only fed them 2-3 times a week, and usually had one meal that was dusted superworms, silkworms, or hornworms. Rarely, as a treat, I would offer a pinky rat (typically no more than one a month, but I averaged maybe one ever 2-4 months).

Once BTS's are full grown, care must be taken to ensure they don't get obese...I have seen alot of really fat BTS's in forums and at shows...often twice as wide as my adults and they would be about the same length.
-----
PHLdyPayne

Forum Princess

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Feeding BTS - DiamondFlame10, Thu Aug 19 18:18:37 2010