return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

CO Press: Woman still suffering year

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crotalidae ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Fri Aug 20 05:52:44 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

KOAA (Pueblo, Colorado) 13 August 10 Woman still suffering a year after rattle snake bite (David Ortiviz)
A woman in Pueblo West is facing mounting medical bills and a terrifying health situation nearly a year after being bitten by a rattle snake. Rebecca Armstrong's pain and wounds are still so severe doctors may have to amputate her arm.
"I never saw, I never heard anything, I felt something horrible bite me," said Armstrong. Back in September 2009, Armstrong was picking up garbage on a horse rescue ranch when the rattle snake attacked. She reached into some weeds and the snake bit her in the arm.
"It was extremely painful at the time that it happened." said Armstrong. "It was burning and it swelled rapidly," she added. Armstrong has to keep her entire arm wrapped in medical gauze to keep the swelling down, but she continues to loose arm muscle and tissue.
"You know I know that that's a possibility--that it could be amputated--by what they're able to find and what they're able to save," said Armstrong.
The past few years haven't been easy for this wife and mother of eight, including five adopted children. Before the rattlesnake bite, Armstrong battled MRSA a staph infection, for three years. "I had started to feel better and heal from the MRSA and that's when I got bit by the rattlesnake," said Armstrong. "So we've got medical bills from years and years that have piled up and still I have an arm that's not fixed."
"And she has $600 a week just in co-pays and that's not covering--is the insurance going to cover everything?," said Scott Fanning a firefighter and EMT in Pueblo West.
Fanning and the Pueblo West Firefighters' Association wanted to help. They're hosting a pancake fundraiser on Sunday, Aug 15. to help Rebecca and her family--who despite their hardships, remain altruistic at heart.
"We give, we serve, we do everything to make others happy and that's one of our biggest motto's," said Armstrong. "The cashiers we see or whoever we meet we hand a flower to, and it's a amazing the effect that things like that make on people," she added.
"They don't bat an eye, they'll give whatever they have to anybody and it's fair time we turn around and help them," said Fanning.
Soon Rebecca will travel to Denver, to see if doctors can save her arm. She's grateful for all the support here at home. "I am very grateful, very humbled, very thankful, I wish I could do the same right now, but there will be a time. What comes around goes around," said Armstrong.
The pancake breakfast fundraiser will be held Sunday Aug. 15 from 8 a.m. to Noon at Fire Station 1, located on the corner of Hans Peak and Joe Martinez Blvd. in Pueblo West. Organizers are asking for a minimum donation of $5 a person.
Woman still suffering a year after rattle snake bite

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]