return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Mar 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Mar 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Bloated Newt Advice? Please Help!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Salamanders & Newts ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: brilliantbearded at Wed Sep 1 17:03:20 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by brilliantbearded ]  

I have 3 Fire Belly Newts housed in a 5 gallon aquarium with a sand substrate, small filter, live plants, and a bridge where they can hide under or seek shallow water on. I have had them 9 months. They are picky eaters, but seem to eat enough. I offer them dried tubiflex worms, dried daphnia, and the newt pellets. There are 2 feeder guppies in the aquarium as well. They eat the babies when they have them. The temp stays around 72. Not sure of the methods people use to make it any colder. They other 2 newts have always been smaller, but this one is clearly bloated. It's neck and throat are so bloated that it can't close its mouth. It's body is so swollen that there are ribs in between the flesh. The legs and tail aren't swollen yet so hopefully it's not too late. I noticed it this morning, and between classes found some different suggestions online. Please provide any advice that you can on this subject. He is in a quarantine tank with one rock and about an inch of water. I read that it is good to put them in a tank with plain soil that you keep moist or moist papertowels, but havent tried it yet. I bought the soil, but am reluctant to do it without any other opinions. I have also read that "Melafix" is good to add to the water, or some type of salt dipping as well. My local vets aren't sure what to suggest so I am asking you guys. Please help me help this little guy! Thank you so much!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  missing limb - pagalvaman, Wed Sep 1 21:38:34 2010
<< Previous topic:  JPN Press: Oldest giant salamander dies - W von Papineäu, Tue Aug 17 09:25:55 2010