return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: KSB litters just 3 months apart?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sand Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: StevePerry at Sat Sep 4 09:34:43 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by StevePerry ]  

I have seen this a few times in my animals including one female this year. It is not that she had two litters. She just retained babies from the first. Some of the babies may have developted faster than others and forced their way out while others were retained. In my case this year, a female dropped out four very healthy babies and two that were not fully developed but still alive and still in their protective sac. This was the first time I had seen live babies like this and of course they did not make it, not that I did not try to keep them warm and moist. About a month later the mother dropped six more fully developed still born babies.
In the past when this has happened I have noticed that the females who retain babies or slugs will end up with large, hard lumps in her abdoman which can and will block the path of next years babies if large enough. I have removed these calcified babies/ova during the next seasons birth using the snip method and sent them in for some testing but I never could get a hold of the guy to see if they were indeed babies from the previous year. I assume they were as I and others have recorded these lumps in females that did not pass slugs/babies the previous year. I used a Q-tip and lube and massaged the slugs and two more still borns from my female this year.
Good luck with her.
-----
Steve Perry
North Idaho.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: KSB litters just 3 months apart? - kybacon, Sat Sep 4 13:24:40 2010

<< Previous Message:  KSB litters just 3 months apart? - kybacon, Sat Sep 4 08:39:47 2010