return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

new egyptian uro aggression advice?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mart20 at Mon Sep 6 07:16:45 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mart20 ]  

Hi everyone,

My name is Martin I'm from the Uk, I've been on the chuckwalla forum on here before as I have 6 chuckwallas wich are great. Since getting them I was thinking about selling my ackie monitor in order to get an egyptian uromastyx as they have very similar care requirements to my chuckwallas, and it would mean no more insects to mess around with lol. I saw one advertised on saturday for £120.00 including the viv and everything, so I thought that was a good oppertunity to get one, they said he was fairly tame and was just a bit sensative about his tail being touched, so I thought it sounded ok and that I could work with him. I ended up picking him and everything else up yesterday and I got it all for £100.00. I did hold him yesterday at his previous home, and he seemed ok and quite friendly, he crawled from his previous owner over to me and did seem a bit sensitive about his tail being touched, he was a bit cool at the time (temperature I mean lol). Any how, he's had some food and is roaming around and digging etc and seems ok, I'm just after as much advice and reasurance about the aggression, as I let him out this morning and and he did whip a little bit and then wasn't too bad, and he let me pick him up ok to put him back in the viv, I haven't had him out since as I think it would be best not to fuss with him too much so he can settle in. He seems to tail whip at the slightest thing in the viv I think he is teratorial with it, the other thing was I was putting some bird seed in his food bowl and he was at the other side of it, he seemed a bit tence and then started to his at me, so after that I'm thinking oh great they didn't tell me he hissed as well, and I'm just wondering if I might have bitten off more than I can chew. I just need some advice on what you think about the behaviour I have described and how best to tame him down? also he is around 2 years old and aprox 16" long, is it too late to tame him or have any of you do this, I hope it's not as bad as I'm thinking as I feel slightly misled by what the previous owners said about him. Please don't think I didn't do my reasearch about them as I did so for months and have been looking for one for some time, so it wasn't an impulse buy as such although I did act quickley on it as I thought someone else would snap him up. I also know a lot about my chuckwallas and get on fine with them they are fantastic lizards to keep, I just hope I can have something like that with Frank (thats what I've decided to call him). I'll leave it at that for now as this will be a long post any way, I know what size viv he will need and all that and I will be improving his set up and what not, it's just this is pretty much the exact set up he had at his last home, the only thing I've put in is the UVB tube and the infra red bulb and the breeze blocks, I will be getting him a mvb bulb some time this week. Any way I look forward to hearing your advice.
Thanks very much.
Martin

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Shorter days lighter feeding. - KevinM, Sat Sep 11 08:59:25 2010
<< Previous topic:  Zucchini Flowers - malves85, Sun Sep 5 22:35:10 2010