return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Mazuri Chow In Diet

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tortoise_matt at Tue Sep 14 21:51:57 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tortoise_matt ]  

Hi everyone... I rarely post because my tortoise "cred" pales in comparison to most of the more frequent posters, but I wanted to offer a counter-point to this comment.

I think it is important to note that the question was specifically regarding Mazuri and not other pelletized foods. Mazuri's ingredients are easily available, and you can find that they are not deficient in several of the ways that Mandolynn has indicated like ca ratio, magnesium, or high protein (keep in mind that dry weight measurements will show higher percentage than what is in fresh greens, and this protein is also non-animal vegetative protein).

I believe the link is to an excerpt from A.C. Highfields "encyclopedia" or one of the books specifically regarding nutrition which are great resources and I've read multiple times. But my encyclopedia had a first edition in 1996, and some of the material on commercial diets may not reflect the current nutrtion of mazuri.

My tortoises love the stuff, I usually use it as a base to which I add other things. That way foods they would be picky about have a more familiar smell. I haven't noticed abnormally accelerated growth from my tortoies that rely heavily on mazuri... I think the high fiber content more closely reflects the fiber content of their wild diet, and because it is not as easily digestible, may result in slowed growth. The tortoises that won't take mazuri are the ones that seem to have accelerated growth and loose stools due to the lack of fiber in store greens (Many people who keep their tortoises inside over winter on store greens alone can sympathize with the runny poops)

As for the type of fatty acids, acidifying effects, and altered vitamin D metabolism, I can't say how Mazuir effects those things one way or another... I just don't know much about it. Of course, I agree in general with Mandolynn's stance that commercial diets are not preferred and variety is important, but Mazuri seems to be a nutritionally balanced commercial diet which provides the fiber that my tortoises aren't getting otherwise. Anyone agree or disagree?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Mazuri Chow In Diet - Mandolynn, Sat Sep 11 20:56:35 2010