return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Mazuri Chow In Diet

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Ivory Tortoise at Tue Sep 14 22:29:19 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Ivory Tortoise ]  

I would agree that a natural diet is best but very few of us have the ability or luxury to provide a year round, natural diet, for our tortoises. A diet composed of grocery store vegetables is not a natural diet either and few of us even know the nutritional content of a natural diet for our tortoises and how to duplicate it in captivity.

We can’t lump all “Commercial Diets” together. There are some that were developed after very little research and they are poor diets for our tortoises. There are others that have a lot of research in their development and are excellent.

We need to be careful about comparing human needs to tortoise needs. I agree that high levels of omega 6 fatty acids are not healthy but some omega 6 fatty acids are essential for good health. I agree that high levels of protein are unhealthy (particularly if they are made up of the wrong amino acids) but protein is essential for good health. Very low levels of protein can result in soft shells and death. I agree that a tortoise’s blood should have a slightly alkaline pH, which can be acidified if fed too many grains but a diet balanced with greens can help offset this. I think it is unclear of the affects of phytates in the diet, which may pass through the tortoise’s gastrointestinal tract with little affect on the tortoise.

If I had year round grazing available, that is what I would provide. I don’t have that luxury so I feed over 2,000 pounds of Mazuri a year. I have hatched out tortoises from parents fed Mazuri, raised those hatchings to adults, and have had strong, next generation babies produced by those grown up hatchings.

I raise hundreds of completely smooth and natural looking tortoises, which are fed predominately Mazuri tortoise diet. I have regular customers who buy my 4-inch captive raised tortoises because they are so perfect. Diet is very important but correct husbandry techniques are critical for perfectly formed shells.

Mazuri recommends that their diet be supplemented with fresh fruits and vegetables and the tortoises also be fed good quality grass hay. It is my opinion and observation that Mazuri is fine to feed if supplemented as they recommend. I don’t use any vitamins or mineral supplements with the Mazuri.

Good luck

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Mazuri Chow In Diet - reptileszz, Wed Sep 15 06:01:46 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Mazuri Chow In Diet - Mandolynn, Sat Sep 11 20:56:35 2010