return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Dumerils known snake eaters?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dumerils Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tektum at Sat Sep 18 08:03:07 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tektum ]  

Hello ~ Thanks for your replies. It was unlikely in my mind with the types of snakes I was working with (primary warm blooded animal feeders) that cannibalism was an option, given such a short period of time together. As far as swapping out animals during cage cleaning and cage moving, it's been known to happen - especially under circumstances regarding Boas and Pythons. I've been beside some of the finest breeders & distributers in the country and they all do the same thing, as long as the species are supportive (in this case the Dumerils comes across as such a passive species, I never would have imagined).
As far as i'm concerned, I have a "scientific" attachment to my animals (not anthropomorphic) and if this is a way that I will gain knowledge on the current topic, (losing the Ball Python to another species to identify cannibalism or losing the Dumerils after it had swallowed something too large), then so be it, i'm ok with that. It's all in the name of science (the foundation of the herpetological world was built on this exact thing) and it just set the foundation for my next article (which should prove to educate many like myself that never would have thought).
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your criticism and recognize it, but please, understand where i'm coming from as well.
Oh, by the way, the Ball Python was regurgitated (as I expected) within an hour after being swallowed. I washed it off and it is going to be skinned and tanned. The rest of the snake will be used to teach anatomy. The Dumerils is fine today. The entire event was really quite amazing and I do have other photos as well, if you are interested.
Thanks.
Skin & Scales

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Dumerils known snake eaters? - PBM, Sat Sep 18 12:43:48 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Dumerils known snake eaters? - PBM, Fri Sep 17 23:53:11 2010