return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Update on taming my Egyptian Uro

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mart20 at Sun Sep 26 06:11:37 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mart20 ]  

Yeah that makes sense as I can tell he loves to come out, because when I put him back in he scratches at the glass like crazy to come back out and looks at me in a begging sort of way (you can tell a lot from their eyes I find). Some people don't seem to think you can tell what a lizard is thinking but you can with some things and getting excited about comeing out is one of them lol. The thing is when he has tail whipped when he's been out it hasn't been that hard really, just half hearted, so as you said should I just put him back if it is really forceful or should I just put him back whenever he does it half hearted or not?.

I seemed to discover a good way to stop him tail whipping when I have to open the door on a morning to get his food dish out, I picked a flower and showed him it through the glass whilst he was still in his hide, and he came straight up to the glass, I then opened the door and slowly moved it towards him and he took it, I did this a couple more times and then removed his bowl while he was munching away lol, and he didn't whip at all, normally he would whip his tail hard when in his hide. I'm hoping that I might be able to build on this and do it every morning, and hopefully he will get so used to it that he will forget about the tail whipping, as it will be like conditioning his brain to think in a different way when he hears the door open. I've also decided to use my tongs for hand feeding, for most of it any way, not because he lunges or anything just because during my research on reptile behaviour and training/ taming I've read a few things where people said they got rid of the bad behaviour by hand feeding but then after a while the lizard would lunge at their hand, and I know from experience with the ackie monitor I had, that he used to get excited when he saw the tongs and didn't when he saw my hand so thats what I'm doing as I would be really cheezed off if I replaced one bad behaviour with another after all the time it will take and so on. The problem is my nasturtiums are only going to keep flowering for so long, so once they stop I have no idea of what to use as a treat, and if I do continue to make progress it would be a real shame if things slipped back just because he wouldn't take anything else. Do you think he might start taking more different things off me once he gets more used to me?

Any way thanks for your advice and encouragement and also thanks to PHFaust for your encouragement.
Martin

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Update on taming my Egyptian Uro - Paradon, Sun Sep 26 11:11:40 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Update on taming my Egyptian Uro - Paradon, Sun Sep 26 04:37:56 2010