return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Blank Slate

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sulcata & Spurred Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: imadude1134 at Mon Sep 27 23:14:12 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by imadude1134 ]  

Hey all,

I have a sulcata that is about 6 yrs old, and she is finally moving outside full time. She is about 16in long, 9 or 10in wide. The area she will be going into is about 5ft wide and 15 or 16 ft long. Currently, it is rick solid clay, but I am working on "freshening" the dirt so grass and plants will grow.

Basically, here's my question... What should I plant for her? (note, on a budget, aren't we all?)

I read all over the net that there are a variety of grasses that they can eat, but is any one grass "better" than any other? Are there any that should be avoided? The local Lowe's sells Tall Fescue and St Augustine sod pieces The Fescue is about $2 for 3 sq ft where the Augustine is almost $7 for just over 1 sq foot. I don't mind spending the money on the Augustine, but if it's no "better" than the Fescue, I DEFINITELY wouldn't mind saving a few dollars per sq ft of grass.

Also, what kind of other plants should I put back there with her? I live in Southern California and would be willing to travel to nurseries, so it doesn't just have to be the ones available from Home Depot or Lowe's.

Also, given her size, are there any animals that I would need to worry about? My wife seems to be worried that she will get picked up and carried away by a crow or a pidgeon or a hawk or eagle or something like that... I don't think so, because I am in the suburbs, so I would think only neighborhood cats or an occasional Possum... Would I need to worry about anything like that with her? My wife is just really worried about animals getting to her, so I guess I'm just looking for someone with a little more experience to tell her she is crazy, or panicked, or something along those lines...

Well, now that I've written a novel, I look forward to your responses. Thanks for taking the time to read my life story!!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereBlank Slate - imadude1134, Mon Sep 27 23:14:12 2010

>> Next topic:  New Sulcata - danbendig, Sat Oct 16 17:45:44 2010
<< Previous topic:  Scute De-lamination - GSN, Sat Sep 25 07:56:55 2010