return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Pope Viper shed issue HELP!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: conserve at Mon Oct 4 13:05:18 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by conserve ]  

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have experience with Pope's, and understand exactly what you are going through.

Most snake skin comes off relatively easily when you soak them, but Pope's are another story. The skin absolutely adheres like glue if they miss that critical shed window, and even after 24 hours of soaking, the best you can usually do is get one scale off at a time.

I tried looking into a commercially available product, with no luck. Maybe someone else has a water additive that helps. I even tried using a mild human skin moisturizer (Aveno) with no luck. My snake was a juvenile, and eventually the shed came off with the next shedding cycle, so that's the only advice I can offer. Feed the snake hard to induce the next shed ASAP, and keep the enclosure humid when the snake enters the final stages of the shedding cycle and hope for the best.

If you can remove some of the shed, maybe the ventrals, so the skin doesn't ring the snake, that may help.

The only other option I can think of is to find a herp vet that will see venomous, soak the snake for a day or 2, anestitize the snake, and then work on removing as much as you can while not worrying about a wiggly venomous snake.

Would love to hear about a good soaking additive if anyone knows of one.

Good luck.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Pope Viper shed issue HELP! - sanchez83, Sun Oct 3 02:24:28 2010