return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Wood hatchling drownings.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Spotted, Bog & Wood Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: apeltes at Tue Oct 5 08:17:08 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by apeltes ]  

Really sorry to hear you lost your woods.

I don't have as much experience with woods as spotteds and boxes, but they are all very similar when it comes to swimming... and drowning.

In my spotted enclosures, the thing that I spend the most time worrying about in the design is the drowning potential. They usually swim fine... like fish... but sometimes they get to the bottom without their lungs full of air, and they sit there like stones. The only way they can get air is to walk toward the surface at the edge. If the sides are too steep, they just scramble in place until they drown. And the slope doesn't have to be too steep if it's smooth. It's amazing how terrible they are at moving up a smooth, gentle slope.

I tend to do the following:
1)Don't make the water too deep. Ideally, a foot or two is plenty. Don't try to keep these turtles in a goldfish pond. Make it a bog.
2)Keep the slopes gradual. Really gradual.
3)If you're using a liner, put sideways wrinkles in it for grip.
4)Keep plenty of submerged rocks, branches, and plants for climbing.
5)Keep hatchlings in a small setup until they are at least an inch or two. In a big outdoor enclosure, they tend to get "lost". It's hard to keep track of them, and they sometimes end up in a corner buried until they dry out. If you have a really well-planted natural enclosure, it's different. If they hatch in there, they will probably get along fine as if they are wild. Actually, my biggest problem is finding and catching all of the "wild" babies each year.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Wood hatchling drownings. - woodwilly, Tue Oct 12 00:31:39 2010

<< Previous Message:  Wood hatchling drownings. - woodwilly, Sun Oct 3 21:38:55 2010