return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Python Cages.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PythonEugenics at Mon Oct 25 20:28:28 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PythonEugenics ]  

I have the exact setup you're describing. The 8x3 Boamaster is as solid as a rock. I’ve had mine about 4 years and I currently have a 16ft, 150lb female Hypo Burmese in there and it is plenty of room for her. The only modification I had them make from the standard issued version was to cut a slot down the middle in between the doors on the front so I could put a divider down the middle to safely clean the enclosure in halves. I attached a radiant heat panel on the inside ceiling at one end which is controlled by a Helix thermostat and the probe hangs down from the ceiling approximately 6 inches from the floor of the cage. It keeps the basking spot at a very controlled temperature and the rest of the enclosure at a slightly lower ambient temperature. One issue is that the enclosure is EXTREMELY HEAVY, so once it's put together; don't plan on moving it….ever. I don't particularly consider this a negative because it is so solid. If I were to be locked inside of it, I’d have a difficult time kicking myself out, and with housing a monster python, which yours will be, security should be the number one requirement. The only true negative is the melamine flooring. Melamine is not 100% absorption resistant. Don’t use something like a Kane heat mat in it because the moisture under the mat will start to compromise the melamine surface. Using a radiant heat panel as you hinted towards would keeps the moisture from baking in direct contact with the surface of the melamine. If the floor of the enclosure were made out of something like HDPE, it would be perfect. I’ll take a picture in the next couple days to show the set up.

I’ve also got a Freedom Breeder 66”Jumbo rack and several Boaphile 8’ cages. If you’re not breeding pythons professionally and have the space to devote to one large specimen/enclosure, the Boamaster 8x3 is a good choice. A giant Rock will eventually get too big and strong for the other two options I’m familiar with. You could always go for the Freedom Breeder 96’ Jumbo (which I’d love to have one), if money is no object.

Thanks,

Brad Johnston
Python Eugenics LLC
pythoneugenics@comcast.net
781-330-2854

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Python Cages. - myklx, Sun Oct 10 18:24:57 2010