return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: adopted a sand boa

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sand Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: bcain at Wed Oct 13 20:14:27 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by bcain ]  

Can you handle him at all? Does he try to bite? Most snakes will flinch when you go to pick them up if they are not used to being handled.

First of on the choice of substrate. Kenyans like to burrow and spend most of their time under their substrate either in ambush with their head peeking out (a sign that they may accept food) or completely submerged in it. Make sure that you have plenty of it in there as they like to have weight on their back. I use aspen but I have a friend that uses burrowing clay if he wants to display his snakes. It works fine as long as you allow it to dry well and have plenty of places for him to hide and plants. I'm not familiar with desert snow, but i looked it up and it seems like it would be fine as well. Perhaps someone else has tried it.

Make sure he has a warm side and a colder side. Right now the hot side on my tanks is 105 degrees but Someware between 100-110 seems to be the best. I have housed them at 95 degrees and had them do just fine. You realley need to invest in a thermostat to make sure the heating pad does not get to hot.

Personally If you still have the ten gallon tank I would put him back in it. I'm not sure how big a container you have as I do not think in quarts... but they like smaller spaces. If the tank is to big they can refuse to eat.

Make sure they have some sort of a hide spot on either side of the tank and plants of some sort are great as well.

He looks like a really good looking Kenyan. I hope you have a great experience with him. I love my Kenyans they are super easy to care for.
-----
1.0 Albino Kenyan Sand Boa
0.1 Anery Kenyan Sand Boa
0.1 Stripe Kenyan Sand Boa

1.0 normal Ball Python (rescued)
1.0 Albino Ball python
0.1 pastel Ball python

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: adopted a sand boa - savage510, Wed Oct 13 20:27:19 2010

<< Previous Message:  adopted a sand boa - savage510, Wed Oct 13 17:06:19 2010 image in post