return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Green Iguana Surface Temp???????????????

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHFaust at Mon Oct 25 14:22:42 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHFaust ]  

>>My problem is that I cant find any one who uses surface temps for there green iguanas. Im thinking that a surface temp of 110-125F would suffice, but i may be off. Hopefully a monitor keeper will chime in. >>
That is about right for surface temps. Same temps as beardies, but that is what I have my HIGHEST basking spot at.
>>Also, im wondering if there is a way to increase or maintain an iguanas green coloration. Most of the really brown iguanas i have seen were kept in wire cages with tons and tons of ventilation, so im wondering if low humidity causes decreased green.>>
Coloration has absolutely nothing at all to do with humidity. The three factors that go towards coloration is Heredity, Location and Sex. The vibrant orange iguanas seen are always males. I have yet in my years to see a normal phase green iguana female with that coloration. Males will have much brighter colors to attract females. Their natural ranges denote the vast majority of coloration. The more vibrant green ones tend to come from the southern most portion of their native range as to better blend with natural surroundings. The more drab brown ones come from the northern ranges. Lastly selective breeding for color will also play a factor. As there is now a variety of color morphs, this comes into play now.
>>Lastly, is iguana impaction really as big of an issue as everyone makes it out to be, the iguanas in the wild manage to do fine with out laminate tile flooring, or news print. I would be ok with these options, but I live in the desert where humidity is a big issue. Hasn't anyone had success with a more naturalistic substrate, that holds humidity better, such as pete moss.>>
As with anything when it has miles and miles of range to wander there are different problems than found in a captive environment. Iguanas in captivity have and do regularly eat things that are found loose in their enclosures. While in the wild a more natural substrate is obviously found, in a 4x4 floor space the animal has little to keep it's interest. I have personally seen quite a bit of impaction issues and not only with substrate. Coins seem to be a very popular item. Ladies underwear, stockings, Paper toweling, plastic bags, socks, cat toys. You have to remember in the wild, these animals spend very little time on the ground so chances for ingestion of loose ground cover is minimal.
-----
Cindy Steinle
PHFaust
Visit kingsnake on Facebook!
Follow Kingsnake on Twitter!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: ??Green Iguana Surface Temp????????? - beardslycrew, Mon Oct 25 23:09:11 2010

<< Previous Message:  Green Iguana Surface Temp??????????????? - beardslycrew, Mon Oct 25 04:02:38 2010