return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Safe Temperature

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Blood Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: WALL2WALLREPTILE at Sun Nov 21 00:37:59 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by WALL2WALLREPTILE ]  

Hello Chris and Alliey!

We are doing great.
Hope you are both doing great too.
I am glad to see your post.

I suspected there would be some considerable variation in the preferred temperature ranges maintained by different keepers.
Your post goes to show that there is certainly more than one way to successfully "skin the cat".

As you know, many people utilize a seasonal temperature variation to stimulate breeding behaviors. It obviously works.

However, we do not use this approach. We prefer another method to stimulate breeding behavior. We simply "cycle" our Bloods by fluctuating the feeding frequency.
Offering more food during one time of the season is enough to trigger hormonal ques that lead to successful reproduction.
(This also works well with Ball Pythons!)

For me it seemed more natural with these tropical dwelling snakes. (not to mention that it is also very easy.)
The temperatures they are experiencing in the wild are fairly stable.
Wet/Dry seasons are experienced, rather than more "temperate-like" warm/cool seasons.

(note: in many temperate dwelling reptile species, a cool down/brumation period is thought to be necessary in order to instigate viable spermatogenisis.)

In the tropical wild setting, the availability of food surges after the wet season. So, we decided to try keeping the temps fairly stable...and rather seasonally manipulating the feeding frequency. It works like a charm.
We have been producing snakes with this method for years.
But, having said that...I know that there are many other methods that will also achieve successful results.

As you know Blood Pythons...and Short-tailed Pythons are remarkably hardy animals that can be maintained fairly easily.
As long as you do not subject them to extended periods of sub-optimal conditions...they will generally thrive in captivity.

I really enjoyed reading your post.
Hope you have a great season.
Stay in touch. I always love hearing form you guys!

Your friend,
Harlin Wall - WALL TO WALL REPTILES!
970-245-7611
970-255-9255

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Safe Temperature - giantkeeper, Fri Nov 19 07:33:31 2010