return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Update and no progress

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Box Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: AllenSheehan at Thu Dec 2 11:03:53 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by AllenSheehan ]  

I do not frequent this forum much so I may be repeating some comments other posters have already mentioned in the past. However i can say i have been breeding ornate and three toed for about 20 years. The first thing that jumps out at me is the weight of your particular boxy. A 50 gram box hatchling sounds rather healthy. Mine hatch out about 15-2o grams so 50 grams would have almost tripled in size so he is eating something. If he has food at all times I would have to guess he is eating while you are not looking. If you were not providing food at all times I would advise that you do. That way when he comes out when you are not around he might be more inclined to eat, as he feels more secure. You can imagine how small the stomach is on a hatchling box so a few very small mouthfuls from a small spoonful of food may go unnoticed. In fact i often think they get more on their face than they do in their mouth. I also feed mine small red worms that i dig out of the compost pile and I see the hatchling eat half of a worm while the other half crawls away and escapes. This scenario could also go unnoticed if I was just counting complete worms eating and overlooking several that are half eaten. I guess my point is I would be willing to bet he is eating something. If you are monitoring weight have you noticed that he has lost weight? Also not many on mine will eat with me hovering over them as you are nothing more than a predator to them at that point and they are certainly not going to eat if they feel they are your lunch. However in a few years this all changes and they end up chasing you around the back yard begging for a treat
I also would not tube feed this guy until he has lost a good amount of weight and you are sure there is no other alternative. This sounds very traumatic for the turtle and will probably set it back farther.
My two cents
Allen Sheehan

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Thanks and another update - Linda G, Sat Dec 4 12:23:01 2010 image in post

<< Previous Message:  Update and no progress - Linda G, Thu Nov 18 18:57:13 2010