return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Mar 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Mar 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Feeding Question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anoles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: BabyHerp at Sat Nov 27 20:27:21 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BabyHerp ]  

Hi there,

I also recently became the proud owner of a green anole, and I had the same problem... May I ask what size viv the little fellow is in, as well as the temperature, humidity, and general set-up of his vivarium?

As recommended, I set up Eddie with a 10-gallon tank with tons of hidey holes, climbing space, plants, a great substrate. I had a temp gradient of 80-90 in the warm end (the 90 was in his basking spot) to 75ish in the "cooler" end. I misted two or three times a day, humidity was right where it was supposed to be... I was doing everything right.

Except he wouldn't eat. Crickets (both bought and wild-caught), meal-worms, moths, a crane fly, nothing appealed to him and I was getting very worried. He noticed the food, he just refused to eat it. I ended up at Petco (for something unrelated) and a lady there said she had owned anoles before, and that perhaps the problem was that he had TOO MUCH space. I was skeptical, especially since EVERYTHING I had read, seen, or heard, recommended 10 gallons of space for one anole. But, I was willing to give it a shot.

I moved Eddie to a smaller enclosure--actually a cricket-keeper that I hadn't used yet--and it worked! He has lived in there for a week and a half now, and he is just as green as can be. He is eating, drinking water off the walls and leaves, and really seems less stressed.

It is important to note that this is NOT a permanent solution in my eyes! I am phasing him back up to a larger viv slowly. I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

Best of luck!!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Feeding Question - Medic8388, Sun Nov 28 07:49:37 2010

<< Previous Message:  Feeding Question - medic8388, Thu Nov 25 10:52:47 2010 *HOT TOPIC*