return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Fail....hopefully not to be come an Epic

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Morelia Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pythonaddict at Sun Dec 5 00:25:30 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pythonaddict ]  

Signs were there, but we failed to see them until today.

Our jcp x diamond python has been off feed for almost two months. Sign number one; he's never denied food in almost five years. His breathing started to sound strange last week...sign 2. He hasn't bit my husband in almost a month...sign 3.

Tonight, I noticed something on his lower lip. Turned out to be foam. In a few days, his breathing had gotten worse. Concerned, we loaded him up and made our way to the ER vet.

Of course they wanted to do loads of tests, which of course we can't afford, but said all signs point to a respiratory infection. Wonderful.

This is the first time one of our snakes has ever been sick. But that is no excuse, we should have caught it. I knew in my gut something wasn't right, but until today, no outward signs were caught. I've been watching him like a hawk, but ignored the signs that were right in front of me.

They gave us some antibiotics to get us by until we can get him to our regular vet this week. I have now given a snake medicine for the first time ever.

They told us since he is still as feisty as ever and hasn't experienced any weight loss is a good sign. And he was, checking everything out, crawling all over my husband, tongue constantly flicking (forks not stuck together thank goodness!). Though I worry the stress from the ride and being checked will make him worse.

So we've increased the temp and humidity in his enclosure and will give him his antibiotics. Next week will be a trip to his regular vet. Even now, after only being home an hour, he is still active. I will take all the good signs I can get, and hope that we caught it in time and he recovers well.

If anyone has recommendations, they would be much appreciated.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Fail....hopefully not to be come an Epic - Kelly_Haller, Sun Dec 5 02:31:14 2010