return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Blackhead brumation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Python Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Snakesunlimited1 at Wed Dec 8 19:16:36 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Snakesunlimited1 ]  

I have not "brumated" them at all but my house get a chill in the air no matter what I do. I live in Chicago and my night time temps in my house get into the 60's with their heat lights on during the day. The chilly air seems to spur them on for sure. That is just my experience and I have only bred them the last 2 years.

The babies are for sale now because it takes some time to get them feeding but they hatch out for most breeders from late May- early July with June being my month. Also a couple bigger guys got some clutches from breeders at pretty low prices and in an effort to dump them asap they put them up as non-feeders for super cheap. That sort of put the whole market price into question with folks that do not understand all the work going into breeding, hatching, and getting the babies to feed trying to get feeding babies from guys who are producing them themselves for the wholesaler market crashing price on non-feeders.

Myself and some of the others that put the work in on these have refused to half our prices just because 3 clutches went to market at wholesale. The buyers are waiting for some hot looking babies to come up for sale at the wholesale price and that is not going to happen but in the mean time the market has a misconceived lower baby price to the point that I am not even marketing my 2010 babies. I am instead just sitting back enjoying watching them grow and changing my mind on which animals to hold back. I really love these snakes and truly enjoy working with them more than anything else besides my Pseustes so I am more than happy to sit back and feed them.

From what I have seen in the cheap babies, they have been quite dark with muddy patterns and not feeding. In one pic I saw in an add a while back there were visible skin folds in the rear half of the snake... not what I would want to drop a grand on. I don't really expect to see many more of these quick dump clutch sales next year, they are just not that easy to breed.

Jason
Link

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  BHP and snake market perspectives - Matt J, Thu Dec 9 13:51:54 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Blackhead brumation - Dannyboy9, Tue Dec 7 20:45:40 2010