return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Zoo Med instead?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cyclura & Ctenosaura ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Manny at Tue Dec 7 07:59:48 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Manny ]  

I used to feed only fresh greens and fruits but as my collection grew, so did the cost. I was spending well over $400 a month. I've always been skeptical of processed foods because they lack enzymes and are not natural. But when speaking with Mark, who mentioned he has fed it to his animals for years, I tried it. My animals would not touch it. I waited until late summer after they had recovered from breeding activities and the temps were in the 90s. So what I did was not feed them anything for two to three days and then offered the pellets alone. They nibbled a little. So I did not feed them for another couple of days and then offered it to them again. They ate a little more. I did not feed large amounts. The ones who ate caused the more finicky ones to eat by competition. I continued this approach and now I feed every other day. I sometimes will offer fresh greens and fruits but they are given as treats. My iguanas could not be any healthier. I alternate between the zoomed pellets and the Mazuri Tortoise Diet throughout the year, sometimes mixing them together. Although not feeding them on a regular basis when switching to dry food may sound unreasonable, my iguanas were 100% healthy at the time, with fat tails which are the animal’s reserves. Iguanas can go for long periods without food and show no signs of decline. One more thing is that the iguana’s intake of water almost tripled because the dry food is lacking in fluids, so make sure they always have water or they will get impacted.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Zoo Med instead? - Mark M, Tue Dec 7 23:42:06 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Zoo Med instead? - ghlfc888, Tue Dec 7 02:55:25 2010