return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Gargoyle or Crested?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crested Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Thu Dec 9 16:28:38 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

For the most part, the care requirements for both species is the same. Gargoyle geckos do well on crested gecko diet, in fact I think Superfoods no longer sells a separate diet for each...or at least not in all sizes. Either way I raised gargoyles on crested gecko diet without any problems or noticeable difference in growth.

I can't remember the average adult weights/sizes for the two species...but I think it is the Crested gecko that gets a little bigger/heavier...but its not by a large margin.

Gargoyle geckos tend to be more territorial than Crested gecko so if they are set up in a group, make sure they have plenty of room and many visual barriers. Multiple food and water bowls is necessary as well. Keep in mind that crested geckos can drop their tails if kept in large groups or with gargoyles...and they won't grow it back. However crested geckos are not at all hampered or harmed by a tail loss. In fact in the wild, it is very rare to even see adult crested geckos with intact tails and may even put strain on their pelvic bones if they retain it throughout adulthood. Gargoyle geckos will regrow their tails but the regrown one is often not as nice or large as the original.

Humidity is the same for both species...and its not really hard to maintain...even in very dry environments. Just make sure the cage you are keeping them in doesn't have a screen top or alot of screen overall. Clear acrylic or the Exo Terre terrariums are great for both species...as they are glass, have small vents and vertical oriented (ie more vertical space than your typical glass fish tank). Keeping humidity in these style tanks won't be difficult. A daily misting is often all you need to do. I kept my geckos in 55 litre sterlite containers....with a few holes drilled along the sides and lids. My apartment often had as little as 5% humidity during the winter...but it was no problem to keep humidity in the correct range for these geckos. I mist the cage heavily in the afternoon, an hour or so before the geckos wake up and often the following morning, there is still droplets of water on the walls. You do want the cage to dry out completely before misting again.

A good range for humidity is between 50-70% on average...and its alright to have humidity a little higher or lower for a few days or a few hours after doing a heavy misting. If you see any trouble with sheds, mist more often or provide a humid hide.
-----
PHLdyPayne

Forum Princess

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Gargoyle or Crested? - harleyK, Mon Dec 13 11:05:20 2010

<< Previous Message:  Gargoyle or Crested? - harleyK, Wed Dec 8 11:58:10 2010