return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Rat question...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Feeder Food Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Sat Dec 25 13:21:15 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

I wouldn't put any rats in with the birthing moms or moms who are rearing babies...even if they were all together before...even just a day separate can cause the mothers to attack the intruder..even if they haven't given birth yet. IF separated for a couple hours should be fine to put them back together.

personally, I think the best way to breed rats is to keep them in small groups, 1:3 works best I think...and not separate females. They will often communally raise the babies, though this works best if all females have babies within a few days of each other. Females who are more than a week later in giving birth compared to the other females in the same box, her babies are more likely to die, as the larger babies of the other females can easily push the pinkies away from teats.. SO separating late pregnancy females from already nursing mothers would be best...and try to regroup them so litters are bore close together.

With a limitation of only 5 tubs...best to dedicate 3-4 of those tubs for breeding groups, and one for weaned rats to grow to the size you need. Be careful about weaning too young, if the baby isn't fully weaned...separating them from their mother could result in it not growing as fast or worse, slowly dehydrating and dying. I had this happen to several babies who I removed from the mother too soon...they weren't as old as i thought..and they just didn't grow at all...and within a week were dead. Keeping them with their mothers for that extra half week or so, ensures they are fully weaned and they often put on more weight too, so they are more robust and continue to grow well on solid food.
-----
PHLdyPayne

Forum Princess

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  So if I were to... - Amp, Sat Dec 25 22:00:07 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Rat question... - Amp, Thu Dec 23 18:51:52 2010