return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Con somebody give me a hint?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Dumerils Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: vegasbilly at Fri Dec 24 16:27:59 2010  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by vegasbilly ]  

As long as they get a good "warm-up" during the day I would drop them cooler than that. I have all my Madagascan Boas on 14 hrs. of "night", 10 hours of "day" and will drop the day light to 8hrs next week. The heat is only on during the day for 4 hours and I'm using Kane Heat Mats so even though the pad is warm, the ambients around them are still cool. Even when the pad warms up the females stay off it but the males can be glued to the heat at the expense of courting. I watch the males, if they're glued to the heat I decrease it a bit, if not I'll even leave it on for another hour.
A good sign of success is if your female becomes glued to the heat after breeding/ovulation. Her instincts will drive her to keep the developing follicles nice and warm.
My cycles just started Nov.1 as it takes awhile for things to cool down here in Vegas. My Ground Boas still feed when in the low 70s to high 60s w/no ill effects though I don't normally feed during brumation. As a matter of reference my Ground Boas are in a 4'x3'x2' cage.
Bill

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Con somebody give me a hint? - Reesy, Fri Dec 24 17:16:41 2010

<< Previous Message:  RE: Con somebody give me a hint? - Reesy, Fri Dec 24 14:29:07 2010