return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Interesting.....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: HappyHillbilly at Wed Jan 26 11:00:28 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HappyHillbilly ]  

"This past feeding on frozen thawed was another no go, even when it was cleaned with the soap, dried off & heated up."

Did you cuss me after going through all that for nothing? ("Dang, stupid, hillbilly!" Ha! Ha!

From your last message I now see that you've pretty much run the gamut, tryin' just about everything in the book, and then some. I really admire your efforts, perserverance and determination. If more keepers would be as diligent to seek, explore, this hobby would be in a better position. And so would our captives. I tip my hat to you! Laura, who posted further down in this thread has shown the same tenacity with the burm she mentioned.

If were you, as long as getting fresh-killed rats isn't too much a problem, I'd just continue trying to gradually win him over to F/T. It may take several months or longer, but it could also happen soon.

I'd prime him with a small F/K and have a nicely warmed F/T ready to put in his mouth, right against the first rat's butt, as he's swallowing. If you miss the chance to get the F/T rat in his mouth while he's still swallowing wait 1 - 2 minutes for him to get get the first rat further down and since it was a small meal hopefully "feeding mode" will kick in & he'll take the F/T without thinking.

I wouldn't thaw out more than 1 or 2 rats per feeding in case he refuses them and you have to toss 'em out. In this case it's nice to have another snake that eats the same size prey so you can feed them instead of wasting the rat(s).

This time next year he'll most likely have matured and might go off feed for breeding season. Then you can play the game of "chicken" (who gives in first) and offer nothing but F/T, like I mentioned in my first post.

I don't know if the high temp you mentioned was a typo or not but I'd keep the hot end at 92°. I have increased overall cage temps with snakes that were having feeding issues in order to increase their metabolism, which may well be what you're doing. I suggest not going beyond the ranges of 84° (cool end) - 93°/94° (hot end) and I suggest no less than 65% humidity with those temps. Actually, I've not seen any of my snakes kept under those conditions use the basking spot, basking in 93/94° temps, but I offer it to them just in case they want it. In my big cages there's enough room for them to escape that heat. Plenty of fresh water & humidity is vital.

Please keep us posted this. In your trial & efforts you may even come up with an unheard of way to get him switched over & give us all something else to put in our bag of tricks.

Hang in there!
HH
-----
Due to political correctness run amuck,
this ol' hillbilly is now referred to as an:
Appalachian American

www.natures-signature.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Interesting..... - Ravenspirit, Thu Feb 3 09:01:13 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: Interesting..... - ravenspirit, Sat Jan 22 00:05:42 2011 image in post