return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: adoption services?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Box Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: boxienuts at Tue Jan 18 23:09:29 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boxienuts ]  

I just went back and looked at the older post with pics of your box turtle and honestly it doesn't look that bad. It doesn't have pyrimiding or horrible looking scutes. The color seems odd greenish, to me it looks like there may have been algae growing on the shell or algae in the water that then baked on the top of the back. Not sure where your advisors termed "bleached" comes from unless the idea is that your turtle is basking too close to your UV light, because if I read it correctly you are using a florescent tube light so maybe it is too close and the turtle is basking very close, attempting to get warmth. Maybe a heat source, cleaner kept water source and a better more varied diet is all you need to get this turtle in perfect shape. And ignore the "bashing", your doing the best you can and we are ALL learning here. There is a product called vita shell that you could scrub onto the back of your turtle with toothbrush, which may help if the shell seems dry and peeling, but to be honest looking at your turtle I personally would take some rich black soil (and I mean pitch black greasy dirt) like the kind you would find in good farming or garden soil, not potting soil with fertilizer though, anyway take the black dirt and rubb it all over the shell, let in stay on for a few days and the rinse and I bet that shell will look amazingly better, just be sure to keep water source cleaned out if the turtle drags dirt into it water dish or whatever you use. Rich greasy black dirt is mother natures finest turtle shell conditioner.
-----
Jeff Benfer
gartersnakemorph.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: adoption services? - curtis9980, Wed Jan 19 10:27:49 2011

<< Previous Message:  adoption services? - BilltheFriesian, Sun Jan 9 17:38:04 2011