return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Anyone using the Nature Zone Box Turtle?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Box Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: boxienuts at Mon Jan 24 19:11:52 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by boxienuts ]  

Tim that is EXACTLY how I feed my hatchlings. I feed in a plastic tub with shallow water and I feed Reptomin and Wardleys, that is all they have eaten since a week after they were born. In fact that is how they are being raised in a plastic tub with shallow water with a shim under one side so that half the tub is dry and half is shallow water and the lid laid on top loosely so to keep the humidity up yet breathe along with air holes melted in the side and the tubs are on top of heat tape (on top of snake rack) I rotate two sets of tubs so there is always a clean dry one on hand and add fresh water everyday. A couple times a week I put them under a UVB and basking lamp for an hour or two and let them dry out. I now have them in seperate tubs since they were biting each others tails and feet. I realize this is a very utilitarian set up for them this winter and not in any way ideal or very natural, but this spring they will go outside in a more natural yet secure mini enclosure with substrate on the patio under our deck with early morning sun and dappled from the deck mid-day sun and afternoon shade. They will also get a more varied diet with fresh foods and hopefully this will work for them, it's how I raised up their parents. Hopefully after a couple yrs old they will be able to go into the big pen with the adults. Now this definately may not the best way to raise hatchlings, maybe not even the easiest, but since they keep eating well and appear healthy, it works for me.
-----
Jeff Benfer
gartersnakemorph.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  More boxies or not - curtis9980, Mon Jan 24 23:09:05 2011
<< Previous topic:  Update on my baby box turtle - Linda G, Wed Jan 12 19:35:11 2011