return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Mar 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Mar 23, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - Mar 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

Stressed Veiled Stressing Me out!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: the5sherns at Mon Jan 24 12:18:38 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by the5sherns ]  

Hello.
This is my first post, although I have been a lurker for some time. I have a sub adult (exact age unsure) male veiled that is exhibiting stressful colors, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I have had him since Christmas Eve (gift to myself), and for the first few weeks, he seemed fine. He has shed one time since I have had him. He does not look dehydrated - his feces looks normal, and his eyes are not sunk in, but I have yet to see him drink. I put him in the shower one time, and had the shower mist spray the plant that he was on, but he got so mad, I kind of thought doing that to him was causing more stress than just leaving him was causing.

He is housed in a 4x2x2 screen cage with live ficus, pothos, and ivy. There are branches throughout the enclosure for basking, and walking around. He gets a manual drip twice per day, into alternating plants. The basking temps range between 82 and 97 degrees, and the temps in the lower portion of the cage go as low as 72 degrees. He has an all in one bulb - 100W Powersun UV for heat and UVB. He is fed once per day, usually 8-10 medium crickets dusted with Indoor Miner-All. Every third day he is given a different insect - roaches, wax worms, or superworms. All insects are gut loaded with alternating organic greens (Kale, Beets, Carrots). He is fed differet ways each day - one day his crickets will be in a cup, one day they will be on the screen, and one day they will roam free, so he can hunt. He is taken outside and put in a patio tree that is half in the sun, half in the shade a few times per week, for about 2 hours. When he is in the patio tree, the hose sprays a light mist to try to get him to drink.

So - please tell me what I am doing wrong? I have had Jackson's and Veileds before, but it has been about 8 years, so I am afraid I am missing an important component in his care. Please help!
Thanks for your time.
Donna

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Stressed Veiled Stressing Me out! - Carlton, Wed Jan 26 15:05:50 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Stressed Veiled Stressing Me out! - jonnyblaze, Sun Feb 13 17:03:32 2011