return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

More on substrate...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Collared Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: reptoman at Wed Jan 26 23:01:30 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by reptoman ]  

I very seldom post here, Eve I like the paper thing, but I have used high grade AstroTurf (short blade, home depot) and have two exact cut pieces, and keep one in about 7-10 days, that means vacuumed and feces removed daily and then exchange with the clean one, the dirty one can be sprayed off with a hose then cleansed with soapy water and or a disinfectant and then cleaned and air dried for next application. This has worked with me except for egg laying which I have a 5 ft. cage with lots of lighting and play sand, and use the large oatmeal container with the plastic lid on it and a hole cut in it for a lying box, so far I have been 100 percent. Looks dumb in a cage, but the lizards seem to get it..
AstroTurf cannot be as clean as paper, but its way better than sand as an alternative.
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents... I agree with you about these lizards susceptibility to a host of health issues that can often be traced back to this very issue....
Last of all I beleive that UVB direct sun "kills" a lot of stuff, but cage lighting does not. Still no excuse not to clean your caging no matter what you use...I have changed my set-ups to a roll away cages that goes in the garage at night, but during the day out in natural sunlight.. I have quit using using artificial lighting with collareds...except during egg laying.....
-----
www.phrynosoma.org

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE:Hey Lou :0) - Eve, Fri Jan 28 09:55:38 2011