return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Ig w/ unknown injury wont eat

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: patreena34 at Fri Feb 4 10:16:30 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by patreena34 ]  

Basics: Hum: 40-60%, bask: 90 or so, reg temps: 75 @ night 85-90 day, Food: fresh greens, mango, and other assorted veggies, Enclosure: 7ft x 4ft x 4ft, SVL: 18", Age: About 5 yrs

Had this iggy for about 6 months, totally sweet personality, loves the kids, never bites seemed to acclimate well. About 3 1/2 weeks ago, just stopped eating. Thought maybe gravid as she wants to dig at my walls/windows but palpating found nothing. After 2 weeks and a thinner iggy I took to vet. He says all stats good, she's alert/curious/not lethargic, also felt for eggs to no avail..did bloodwork.

All levels good EXCEPT there were traces of muscle enzyme in her blood....he says this indicates an unknown injury of some kind (I have NO idea when or how this occurred...but she is allowed to peruse the basement when someone is down here) so he gave me some Critical Care and anti-inflammatory meds.

A week on those and she is no better. Still wont eat fresh foods, makes insignificant poops but NOW she is extremely agitated and resistant to being force fed...and the other med smells like crap so I can only IMAGINE what it must taste like. Out of money but I want to do the best I can by her (BTW, before I get the spiel on "not owning something you cant afford" I took her in because the previous owner was desperate/gonna put her down because of a move. I am doing my best and though I LOVE reptiles...I own others....I would have never purchased an iggy for that very reason...thank GOD my husband is a carpenter and could build her a proper house on the cheap)

1. Has anyone else experienced this before? How long can it take to heal from something like this? Getting thinner despite treatment.

2. ANY advice on force feeding would be appreciated! It takes a LONG time to do and she makes a HUGE mess. Is this expected or am I doing something wrong? Right now it takes both myself AND my hubby to get the food down her and it seems she hates us more every day. Sorry so long...Jen

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Ig w/ unknown injury wont eat - jf, Fri Feb 4 22:14:08 2011