return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Western Ribbons

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Garter & Ribbon Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ribbonpair at Wed Feb 9 21:56:58 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ribbonpair ]  

I just brought home a pair of Western Ribbon snakes. I was told they are about 3 months old and have been fed pinhead crickets. They are both well tempered (really tiny, so what do I expect at this point) and active. I usually do a better job of researching before I bring any animal home, but I'm sorry to say that this time I didn't. I can't seem to find a great source on raising ribbons. Most sites say Garter/Ribbon and then are heavy Garter and keep noting that Ribbons are different with some things, but never go on to explain what is best for them specifically.

I was able to find some small rosies at a local pet store and both ate 3 this afternoon (their first fish!). Most of the minnows are too big yet and there aren't any feeder guppies around here as an alternative. Can I keep giving them dusted crickets (alternating with the fish) or wax worms, decapitated mealworms to help give them more variety, or should I avoid all or only some insects in general?

I am not looking to breed, I just want them to have a healthy and happy life. Right now they are in a 20 gallon aquarium until I am sure they are both healthy and ok, then I have a 40br for them to move into.

I will take any and all advice you all have to give. I have read that they a diet of only fish isn't healthy for them. And have been told worms and insects are ok too. They are too small for pinkies at this point (which I also read they may not eat anyway). Their enclosure has an undertank heater (covers less than half of the bottom), and their temps are about 85 on one side and 74 on the other (with everything on). Am I supposed to treat their water. I have been letting it sit out overnight to try to dissipate the chlorine to change their water, but should I be treating it or using spring water?

I tried getting a few extra minnows to keep for their next feeding, but they all died about an hour after I brought them home. I'm not sure what I did there - the water had sat out overnight for the snakes and was room temperature, but it wasn't aerated, which I read may have been a problem. Ideas on that would be great too.

I'm sorry this is so long, I have successfully kept several species of herps as pets for years, but it has been about 4 years since my last lizard died and 20 years since I helped care for a snake, so I feel like a beginner all over again. Thanks for any help!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Western Ribbons - ssssnakeluver, Wed Feb 9 22:50:23 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Western Ribbons - tspuckler, Thu Feb 10 11:26:35 2011 image in post