return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Seeking opinions on cage sizing!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Bighurt at Sun Feb 20 20:26:02 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Bighurt ]  

>>I am looking for input on what you would consider reasonable caging requirements for snakes and lizards. We are attempting to fight some proposed regulations, and one of the parts refers to caging requirements. Their proposed requirement are confusing and restrictive, so I am asking for other recomendations to bring to them. Do you know of any ordinances that you believe is fair? Do you know of any industry standards based on animal sizes?
>>
>>Any input/discussion is appreciated.
>>
>>Thank you.

I have my own considerations of sizes although most vary depending upon species. However the difference between minimum and proper sizes are huge.

Snakes - Length equal to that of the animal, other dimensions as appropriate

Lizards - Depth equal to that of the animal, other dimensions as appropriate

Of course there are other dimensions of the enclosure as well to consider.

Arboreal - branches no smaller than the width of the animal

Diurnal lizards - Basking spot should be twice the sq footage as the animal

I usually use common sense when comes to caging however common sense now a days isn't so common.

When I say dimensions as appropriate I mean to the size that is safe for the animal and the keeper.

Lets use an 8' Burmese as an Example

At that size the minimum cage IMO should be 8' in length. The other dimensions I usually use (width equal 1/2 the length) and height (between 1/4 and 1/3 the length) However for this species I wouldn't recommend a depth of the cage more than the length of the keepers arm. If a greater depth is desired the height should be equal to that distance. Meaning and 8' long 2' tall cage should be no deeper than 30". If one wants a 31" deep cage the height should also be 31". A 36" deep cage is 36" tall.

This is what I consider a safety factor and it doesn't apply only to Burmese but any large Boid.

There are no fast rules, but most of what I've stated above holds pretty true. Using the same width to height ration or 1 to 2. A 6' Green Iguana would need a cage with a floor area of 6' x 12'. The trick is the Height by my rule the cage would only have to be 3-4' based on the height equals 1/4 to 1/3 the length. That is where common sense comes in, although one could use the cage height should be 2/3 the length for arboreal animals. Result in a 8' tall enclosure, which IMO is a healthy sized cage for a green Iguana.

Just my opinions treat them as such.
-----
Jeremy Payne
JB Reptile

1.0 Snow "Kahl"
0.2 Triple Het Moonglow "Kahl"
0.1 Orange Tail Hypo Het Leopard
1.0 Ghost
0.1 DH Ghost
1.1 "Kahl" Albino
1.0.2 Hypomelenistic
1.3 Pastel Hypo
0.1 Anerthrystic
0.0.1 Normal

0.1.2 Morelia Viridis

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  adding a misting system - snakeylo, Fri Feb 11 10:36:29 2011
<< Previous topic:  Large quantity of Reptibark - snakehunter101, Wed Feb 9 20:41:08 2011