return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: uvb...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Venom999 at Sat Feb 19 09:48:42 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Venom999 ]  

Here is what the resident expert told me in the UV member group discussion I talk to just recently when complaining about the reptisun bulbs:

Hi, Wayne.

The ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 linear tubes test results are very good indeed (in respect of spectrum, total output, quality of build and longevity) for fluorescent tubes, and I'm not aware of an equivalent brand available in the USA.

The sample 24" T8 (1" diameter) lamp I tested last year reached 4,000 hours (1 year) of use in one of my vivaria, a few months ago.
It started off at 30 uW/cm2 (UV Index 0.9) at 12 inches distance. after burning-in for just over 100hrs, it gave me 24 uW/cm2 (UV Index 0.7).
Then after 4,000 hours, the reading at 12" was still 21 uW/cm2 (UV Index 0.6) which is extremely good indeed, a very low decay rate.

What distances were your 6.2 Solarmeter from the tube, where you got the readings of 10 - 15 uW/cm2?
I was getting 13uW/cm2 (UVI 0.4) at 18" after burning-in.

You're right, outdoor sunlight when the sun is high in the sky has far more UVB than any safe UVB-emitting fluorescent tube mounted at a sensible distance above a reptile.
However, the readings from a Solarmeter 6.2 from a lamp cannot be compared directly with readings from sunlight, because the spectra of these two light sources are very different.
The Reptisun 10.0 spectrum has a greater percentage of its UVB in the shorter wavelengths than does sunlight.
According to my meter readings, 31 - 32uW/cm2 from a Reptisun 10.0 lamp is equivalent to approximately 40 - 50uW/cm2 of sunlight.

With fluorescent tubes, the general concept is to create a wide zone of "background" UV, rather like daylight "in the shade", so it's okay, you're not aiming to match the intensity of full sunlight in the basking zone. (If you want that, the only realistic options are mercury vapor or metal halide lamps.)
With a fluorescent tube, fitted with an aluminum reflector, you are aiming for maybe UV Index 2 - 2.5 across a large area including the basking zone, for a morning-sun-basker like a bearded dragon.
A ReptiSun 10 tube fitted with a reflector will likely give you that at about 8 - 10 inches above the dragon's back. (You're looking for a Solarmeter 6.2 reading of around 60 - 80 uW/cm2 to get UVI 2 - 2.5)

But if you can fix up an outdoor pen for your beardies, with shade and sun, your Florida sunlight would be much better than any indoor alternatives, when the weather permits...

Best wishes,
Frances
-----

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• uvb... - Venom999, Thu Feb 17 14:26:06 2011
    • You Are HereRE: uvb... - Venom999, Sat Feb 19 09:48:42 2011

>> Next topic:  Hormonal Female Behavior - cherylk, Sat Feb 19 08:49:34 2011
<< Previous topic:  leucistic - luiscastaneda90, Wed Feb 16 19:28:35 2011