return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Heating a large enclosure

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jeffharding at Thu Feb 24 14:50:03 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jeffharding ]  

Hello,
I have a savannah monitor cage that measures 8'w x 3'l x 30 3/4" H (above substrate) with 2 feet of substrate. It resides in a 10'w x 8'l x 7'h shed insulated with reflectix. The shed is heated by an oil space heater on a thermostat set to 75-80. In the cage, there are 3 50W halogens in a triangle pattern that hang 12" above a retes stack that is about 8" from the substrate, in the middle of the cage. The cold hide is on the far left in the substrate and a 3'x2' water basin is on the far right. There is a vent above the substrate on the right panel of the cage. I get basking temps of 130 down to 110 (there are logs that the lights shine on at different heights). The surrounding temps (including in the retes stack) range from 95-80 when the thermostat for the shed is set to 80. The cool sides sit at room temp to room temp -5 with the cool hide even lower.

My question is - is it better to achieve high temps by increasing the shed ambient heat (and dry heat at that), or should I introduce more heating elements (radiant heat panel) inside the cage to increase hot side heat, while leaving the ambient shed temps at a lower, more humid temp like 70-75. I was thinking of getting a radiant heat panel and mounting it on the roof by the hot spot to raise the temps and keep humidity.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Heating a large enclosure - Bighurt, Fri Feb 25 06:12:58 2011