return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Mex Mex questions

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mexicana Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Jlassiter at Sat Mar 5 17:47:46 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jlassiter ]  

>>Hi all.. Just woke up my mex mex pair this week. Will be feeding the heck out of them.. but want to know how do I tell when they are ready to meet? How can I tell she is ready for male and not food???
>>
>>I missed the mark last year and really want these to breed..my first kingsnake breeding..
>>
>>Any tips?

If all you have is one pair why don't you pair them up and separate for feeding? You will NEVER miss the window of opportunity this way, but I hope you keep them well fed or you will end up with just one alive snake.

After a few meals start palpating the female. Let the snake slither through your hands as you press gently on her ventral scales....You will feel a "row of pearls" when she is starting to ovulate. This is USUALLY right around the time the female is in a shed cycle. Many call this shed cycle after brumation a pre ovulation shed, but I have had female kingsnakes ovulate before and after this shed...sometimes not until the female
sheds two or even three times after brumation......LOL

One thing to remember is the fact that caloric intake will allow the female to produce egg follicles.........So feed her as much as she wants.....Your male may not even want to eat until after breeding....that is why it is so important to feed them well prior to brumation......

Good luck.....I really like Mex Mex too.......
-----
John Lassiter
Poor planning and procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Mex Mex questions - Oregonherpaholic, Sat Mar 5 19:32:42 2011

<< Previous Message:  Mex Mex questions - oregonherpaholic, Sat Mar 5 06:02:30 2011 image in post