return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Bronx Zoo naja haje FOUND

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Fortiterinre at Thu Mar 31 19:05:42 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Fortiterinre ]  

They still are not releasing much info about where she was found, but ironically this socially networked Egyptian elapid seems to have generated a shocking amount of good will not often reserved for deadly missing snakes! I was expecting the 21st version of a 1970s horror film and instead people really took this in stride.

That being said, this still strikes me as a pretty big breakdown of procedure. My first thought was what they seem to be hinting happened, that the snake somehow nosed its way into part of the machinery running its enclosure and was able to get out of the enclosure proper but was probably stuck somewhere. Zoo professionals frequently comment that the part of many enclosures visible to the patron is often a tiny fraction of the behind-the-scenes square footage devoted to filtration, climate control, air filter, etc. My local zoo makes a point of talking about how big the machinery is to keep water turtles in clean water--many times the size of their enclosure--so that parents will realize how tough these animals are to keep as pets.

I also wondered about cobra-on-cobra cannibalism. A few years back the London Zoo kept a trio of N. haje together, a big one, a medium-sized one, and a notably smaller one, and I wondered how safe the little guy would be if the big cobras got peckish!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Bronx Zoo naja haje goes missing - LarryF, Thu Mar 31 15:46:29 2011