return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Cage Size Question

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Iguanas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: medic8388 at Sat Apr 2 09:37:16 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by medic8388 ]  

My guy is about two years old and I'm wanting to build him a new enclosure. His current enclosure is pretty large, but it has more length than height and what I really want to give him more height (and have a cage that takes up a little less floor space). His current cage is 8'Lx4'Hx3.5'D and of course is equipted with all the iguanna goodies like proper UVB bulbs, an ultrasonic humidity system (*easy* to keep it at 60-90%RH, I keep it at a constant 70% peaking at 85% midday) and a MistKing system. I'm going to be moving in a few months and would like to have the new enclosure ready for assembly in the new place.

My concern is that what I have designed is smaller than what he currently has and before I put the time (and a lot of money too) into a new enclosure I want to make sure that it is large enough for another two years or so.

The new enclosure design is a corner unit that is "diamond shaped" almost like the Superman symbol. The new cage size is planned as follows:
The two back walls 3' long each, with two "side walls" comming off at a 90* angle and 1' long each. This will give me 3' across the front where the doors will be, and 4.25' across at the cages widest point. This may be hard to visualize and I can scan and upload/email the design if needed.

I've also just finished an open air cage for a pair of veiled chameleons (which I don't have yet) and I've spend quite a bit of time figuring out how to control the humidity in an open air cage and pretty much have it worked out for that cage. Now I'm thinking that I want to make an open air cage for the iguana because I really like the way the chameleon cage turned out. The problem is I know two things for sure, the first is that I can't use the same screen for the Ig cage becasue he will tear through it, the second is that I can't use hardware cloth beecause he may hurt himself on it. My proposed solution is to use the hardware cloth, but coat it with spray on bedliner first to get rid of the sharp edges (may even sandblast it first?).

Wow, this post ended up a lot longer than I planned (so I may as well throw in that I take all of my reptiles (except for the frogs and such) to the vet at least once per year and they are all very healthy. I know I easly have four figuires put into his current cage and have no doubts this new one will be even more money to build and I just want some reassurance on the size (easier to add a foot before its built lol).

Thanks for reading and for your thoughts.
-----
Green Igg 1.0.0
Beardie 1.0.0
Green Tree Frogs 0.0.2
Pac Man Frog 0.0.1
Green Anole 1.0.0

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  cages? - trsatrtr, Sun Apr 3 15:59:48 2011
<< Previous topic:  new babies - cochran, Tue Mar 29 14:14:09 2011