return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Is a Crested right for me???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crested Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Thu Apr 7 14:36:01 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

Crested geckos don't tend to bite, only was bit once and that was because I was offering a butterworm and she missed her target. But the bite didn't hurt...didn't' even break the skin. I never had a crested gecko even threaten a bite, even with babies. Most seem more inclined to flee than bite.

However, despite how docile crested geckos are I don't consider nor recommend them as a lizard to be held for more than a few minutes at a time. They can stress and often drop their tails if stressed or feel threatened. That and they can jump and either get out of reach or end up falling and hurting themselves.

They do calm down once they are older so can be held in hand or allowed to climb on a shoulder or head...but definitely best to limit any handling to a few minutes at most.

If you are looking for a pet that you can hold for long periods of time..I suggest looking into bearded dragons or blue tongue skinks. Both are larger lizards, less delicate and more content being held or kept on a lap for long periods. Both do require much larger cages than crested geckos and need special heating and lighting needs (though blue tongued skinks don't need as much heat as a bearded dragon...and UVB doesn't seem necessary but I always supply it anyway.)

Another thing to consider, so you want to see your pet during the day or is night time viewing fine? Crested geckos are nocturnal..so during the day, they are hidden and asleep and they don't tend to come out till after night fall. Some do come out at dusk, however.
-----
PHLdyPayne

Forum Princess

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Crested Breeding/Eggs - squidlyjoe, Mon Apr 4 11:18:44 2011
<< Previous topic:  Suboc Care - Ariasiaosi, Thu Mar 24 15:12:24 2011