return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Setting Up a Mouse Breeder Colony

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Feeder Food Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: JoOaks at Wed Apr 6 17:14:47 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by JoOaks ]  

Rats should be kept in large family groups, they're pack animals after all. As for the mice and whether giving them a rest in between breedings is necessary, unfortunately, that is a "personal preference." If you have the mindset that the animals are only bred for food and are going to die anyway, then no, a break is not necessary. You can just feed off the ones whose production starts to decline and replace them with new mice.

On the other hand, if you think like myself and believe that just because an animal is being bred for food doesn't mean they have to be mistreated, you would give them a break. Not because it's necessary but because being pregnant, giving birth, and nursing young (especially large litters) is extremely taxing on the body and incredibly stressful in general. I guess it depends on how you value the lives of the animals in your care.

As for my boa's feeding regimen, that's interesting. I learned about boas years ago and was taught to believe they should be fed bi-weekly. The boa I acquired just recently is a four year old, four foot animal. They were feeding it a rat a month or two to purposefully slow its growth. Of course, that's horrible. I've been feeding her F/T medium rats on a random schedule, two to four times per month. Now, getting into monitors, I'm rethinking how I care for my boa. Wondering if I should offer higher heat (as one forum member does for his snakes) and feed more often. What would you suggest?

As for feeding mice vs. rats, I'm breeding mice because I have a strong attachment to rats. I've been caring for them for over a decade and have even trained them to do tricks. To me, they are so much more than the disposable pet people think they are. They're incredibly intelligent and much more personable than mice. I guess it's like how some people can eat a cow but not a horse. I can feed F/T, but I don't think I could put a rat into a CO2 chamber. I already have trouble thinking about doing it with the damn mice.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Setting Up a Mouse Breeder Colony - Seeves1982, Wed Apr 6 20:12:19 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: I have some questions for you - Seeves1982, Wed Apr 6 20:33:42 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: Setting Up a Mouse Breeder Colony - Seeves1982, Tue Apr 5 18:53:11 2011