return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: I have some questions for you

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Feeder Food Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Seeves1982 at Wed Apr 6 20:33:42 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Seeves1982 ]  

I know nothing about rats. So I was wondering if you could help me out. I don't prefer rats for pets, but I'm not an evil personal either. There is a soft spot in my heart for all furry animals. Gasing rats is not going to be an easy thing for me to do, but I'm assuming that the mentality that my snakes are going to eat rats wether it's me who kills them or a major rodent company will get me through. Anyhow I heard you mention that rats are pack animals. Would two or three females and a male be sufficient for a pack or if need be two males and 3 females? And with that in mind you said that removing the male isn't necessary which is more detrimental to the health of the animal removing the male(s) and leave one or two by themselves or back to back pregnancies for the female? I definitely want my breeders to have a long and healthy life they will be my pets for a long time. Unfortunately I'll have get myself into the mentality that baby rats are food and nothing more. Anyway I have the one female in a 55ga aquarium. The male I bought as food died last night. All the rats seemed healthy, but he was bought as food and I think may have been too you to be pulled from the mother and he didn't have a companion. I plan on going to purchase atleast another female rat for the female I have. Now here is my next question. These rats will only be 7weeks old (the male who died was only about 4). Obviously I don't want the rats to breed yet. Should I get the male now and put him in a separate holding tank or would I be better off getting a male after the females are of age and then introduce a male to them afterwards? Looking forward to your help.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I have some questions for you - JoOaks, Thu Apr 7 01:29:11 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: Setting Up a Mouse Breeder Colony - JoOaks, Wed Apr 6 17:14:47 2011