return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: calico mice???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Feeder Food Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Sat Apr 16 17:22:43 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

I don't know much about the genetics of calico mice and never seen it in any mice I had bred in the past. At the time when I was breeding mice (used for snake food, but was just having fun with it) I was aiming to produce what is called a blacked eyed white...an all white mouse with black eyes, different from the albino mice which have red or ruby eyes. I was nearly there too..but ended up culling the lot and selling them as snake food.

Anyway, there was one time I produced a tri-color rat...but I never bred him. It was more a fluke I noticed in the litter once the fur came in. But I was breeding for snake food so didn't feel a need to keep it. That and I didn't really have the room to start a rat breeding project besides what I bred for my snakes (only had the one trio and they produced all I needed and more)

Curious I googled calico mice and came up with a few hits, which I copied below for you. One a bit about the genetics (and the root site seems pretty good to learn more about mouse genetics and possible breeders) and another for a breeder (no clue on the quality of this breeder, so no guarantee on quality or whether he really has calico mice). Lastly, I included a link to the exotics forums on a kingsnake sister site dealing with mice as pets... I advise not openly announcing you breed mice for snake food..some may take offense to that. So what they don't know, they can't complain about LOL. Some there are very much aware of who hangs in the snake forums and feeder forums and also keep rodent pets too. Its been slow lately, so may not get a response right away, but be patient.

www.thefunmouse.com/varieties/varietiesdetail/tricolor.cfm

boulder-colorado.olx.com/fancy-mice-for-sale-longhaired-angora-calico-and-more-iid-3729016

forums.exotichobbyist.com/forum.php?catid=46
-----
PHLdyPayne

Forum Princess

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: calico mice??? - JYohe, Sun Apr 17 14:09:21 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: calico mice??? - TenorGoddess, Fri May 13 10:35:39 2011

<< Previous Message:  calico mice??? - JYohe, Tue Apr 12 18:31:44 2011