return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hey Jack so sorry >

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Collared Lizards ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Eve at Wed May 11 16:22:09 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Eve ]  

Real sorry to hear about your girl she was a very pretty lady I remember her. Also sorry to her your other cutie is not doing real well lately. I have a couple things I would like to throw at ya.

I see you have alot of snakes, I'm not going to ask about snake mites as I figure you have that covered. I am going to suggest you may ask your vet about a protozoan infection, Entameoba invadens it is internal and lizards get it, meat eating reptiles are most prone and snakes more so than lizards.

Also he may check blood levels to see where the calcium/ phoshorus levels are if anything is too high or too low.

**Now here is just a couple of my own observations over the years with having so many collareds. The dry feeling dull skin, I would take her in my one hand and hold her under a bathroom sink faucet ( set the water at a low stream and about luke warmish first before putting her under) also please make sure any drains are plugged incase she jumps out of your hand. And while shes in one hand take the other and while water is ruinning on her rub her little feet between your fingers and rub your thumb over her back gently but firmly and just get every part of her nice and wet and kind of rub a bit as the water is running on her. Then pat dry with paper towel.

Do this a couple days, I would be willing to bet you will see the old skin break open within a couple days to a week. Sounds like a bunch of old shed/ some layers on her. This will cause them to look and feel like that and also cause dehydration, because their skin can not breath or get moisture through all the old stuff. DO NOT oil her. The oil on top of all the layers IF this is it will really dehydrate her. Just do the "water thing" in the sink a couple times and see what happens.

Okay one more thing , again this is just my observation and some may think I'm goofy but I have seen it so I will say it... Sometimes having them in such a large enclosure they do not do well. When I'm having problems with anyone I try putting them in a small tank for awhile and see if they begin to thrive/ eat bask better. Try a 40 gallon breeder/ critter cage or even for her a 20 long for a few weeks. Don't feel mean, you may see a difference. Sometimes trying to get those HUGE enclosures the temps everywhere in there can be tough.

Just give it a try and let me know on her skin and a smaller tank if things chang any. I hope so.

Best wishes and keep in touch!
-----
Eve
Suncharmers Colorful Collareds & More

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hey Jack so sorry > - JackAsp, Fri May 13 18:38:08 2011

<< Previous Message:  Help me to help my vet on Friday. - JackAsp, Tue May 10 23:58:42 2011