return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Incubator

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pinelandsghost at Sat May 14 22:03:22 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pinelandsghost ]  

My first thought was to let this go to another because I'm not a pro but then again I've done ok with a simple setup.
I use a basic cooler chest made by rubbermaid. inside spread apart lay two bricks. Between them lay an aquarium heater.
I've seen folks who go for big watts, why? Its in a temperature controlled chest not a big aquarium in an air conditioned home. The chest is insulated.
All I use is 25 watts and it works perfectly.
On top of the bricks I lay a cut to fit piece of florescent lighting grating. Pour in enough water to cover the submerge the heater and then the grate by about a half inch.
I set the heater at about 80-83 degrees and let it warm up.
The eggs are then placed without turning in a deli cup of moist vermiculite or perlite. The side up that you find them stays that way when its transferred to the incubator.
Set the deli cup on the grate and the water will warm it from below.
The aquarium heater will maintain the proper temp and the water will maintain the the humidity in the closed chest.
Check the water level every couple of days and add as necessary.
I use a Zoomed digital thermometer that has a probe. The probe stays in with the eggs and the part with the digital read out sits on top of the cooler for me to double check the heater from time to time.
The eggs will hatch almost 60 days from the day they were laid.
I try to keep the temp on the lower end of the range as high temps cause birth defects.
I recently considered getting a $150 minifridge looking incubator but read reviews that said the temp varies as much as 4 degrees from top to bottom. I think my cheap setup is more constant with its temps.
Good luck with it, Mike.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Incubator - abstract, Fri May 13 18:12:54 2011