return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Females and eggs

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PHLdyPayne at Tue May 17 19:15:06 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PHLdyPayne ]  

Unbred females can lay infertile eggs, even if they never saw a male bearded dragon. My last female dragon laid infertile clutches two years in a row once she was fully grown.

When I noticed my female scratching around her cage, I provided an egg laying container for her. It was a separate container, about 26" long, 17" wide and around 18" deep. I used an large plastic bowl that just fit in the tub, cut off/broke off a large opening in the side of the bowl, flipped it over (so it basically looked like a hide..and buried it in children's washed playsand mixed with just enough water (warm tap water, not hot) so the sand sticks but won't leak any water if squeezed hard. I formed a large mound over the bowl and even pushed sand underneath, to 'fill' the cave. I put in about two thirds sand, piled up so its like a cliff./bank over the bowl, and about a third of the tub was empty to the floor. I started a little into the opening of the bowl.

I mounted a hooded lamp over the top and put a screen attached to a fame and placed it ontop (I would put the dragon inside first, before putting on the screen. This is just to discourage the dragon from climbing out). I used a clamp hooded lamp and since her main cage was low to the floor, I clamped it onto the door of her cage so it shone into the container. I angled it so it shone mostly ontop of the pile...but she could move off the top or dig a tunnel/cave in the area I started

You can also just put the bin right into her cage near but not directly under the heat lamp (if its too hot in the container she won't want to lay her eggs.) Then you can set up a ramp o rcut into the sie of the bin, so she can easily get in and out.

There are many ways to set up a nesting box..idea is to have at least 10-12" deep of a sand, soil or sand/soil mix dampened with water for her to lay her eggs in,

As for your vet..even if he's against breeding, he should still be willing to help with determining if your dragon is gravid
-----
PHLdyPayne

Forum Princess

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Females and eggs - dragonzilla, Sat May 14 08:38:50 2011