return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Another great podcast...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crocodilians ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Danny Conner at Mon May 16 12:17:36 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Danny Conner ]  

Maybe to liven up this dead forum we could discuss the podcast.
Adam interviewed a guy from St. Augustines. They of course talked about training crocs. They talked about signals.
I'm no croc trainer but having been a keeper for 25 years I'm still constantly amazed
at a crocs ability to know when it is dinner time.
Like I said I'm not a trainer but over the years these are some signals that told my crocs it was dinnertime.
At first I just made a grunting noise.
Then clicking my barbeque tongs together. Or tapping them against metal fencing.
Some signals aren't even intentional.
Tearing open plastic grocery bags.
When I fed a lot of chicken, putting on latex gloves.
All of these sounds or actions would get the crocs excited and they would come to be fed.
I think the most interesting one. The one that shows the highest level of intelligence was another unintentional one.
I worked at a reptile zoo called the Snake Farm back in the 90's and on Sunday we would feed the gator pond.
The owners wife would get on the P.A. system and say, " In about 15 minutes we will feed the gators at the outside pond. 15 minutes gator feeding at the outside pond."
Immediately all the gators and crocs start coming out of the water to be fed.
That was simply the longest message that was ever said over the intercom.
Typically it was ,"Danny come to the front", or "John you have a phone call".
During these short messages not a croc budged. But during the croc feeding message all the crocs would come to get fed. Before they saw a keeper and before the people started to amass. The only other answer is they had a calendar and they knew it was Sunday.
Trainers or not does anyone else have any interestin signals for their crocs? D.C.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Another great podcast... - mrfisher, Wed May 18 07:40:29 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Another great podcast... - radwigs, Sat May 28 15:56:27 2011

<< Previous Message:  CrocLog podcast - episode 5 - Adam Britton, Tue May 10 07:18:36 2011