return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

How to do it:

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hybrid Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: pyromaniac at Tue May 24 17:56:30 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by pyromaniac ]  

Jeremiah finds it easier to hybridize snakes with a pair of each snake that is to be bred because of the importance of pheromones in successful hybridizing. Another well known snake breeder, Dwight Good, sums it up very well:

If my goal is to breed a cornsnake to a kingsnake, first I will introduce corn to corn and king to king. I allow both pairs to court heavily, but I prevent either male from actually breeding a female. Male courtship is typically displayed with the male rubbing his chin along the female’s back and crawling on top of her. If she flees, he will usually chase her around the cage. If she is receptive and does not flee, he will continue his courtship with twitching motions and a rippling of his belly muscles along her back. The height of his courtship will result in several tail search copulatory attempts. The male will run his tail beneath hers and with a sliding forward or rearward motion attempt to insert a hemipenis into her cloaca. Don’t allow him to actually breed at this point. Once I deduce that both members of my prospective hybrid pairing are ready, I will attempt hybridization. With the male that I wish to use still in a breeding frenzy, I remove the female of his own type that he is trying to breed, and I drape him across the intended female of another species/genera. Once the male is “in position” on top of the female, I observe his actions for a moment in order to determine if any further manipulation is in order

I save all sorts of weird factoids. LOL!
-----
Bob
Pyromaniac AKA Greatballzofire
Keeping cats allows man to cohabitate with tigers. Keeping reptiles allows man to cohabitate with dinosaurs.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  breeding kings with corns - nietzsche, Tue May 24 17:08:16 2011
<< Previous topic:  Spotted Hybrid - BeattyReptiles, Mon May 23 23:24:35 2011