return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

I'm brand new to this... So a few questi

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Leopard Geckos ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: gem28 at Thu Jun 2 17:04:20 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by gem28 ]  

I got myself a pair of 6 month old Leopard Geckos at the weekend - I've never kept them before and there are a couple of things I'd like to ask (if anyone would be so kind as to enlighten me a little. )...

-> Firstly, I've been informed that Leopard Geckos don't climb - or at least that they're not very good at it. And yet my female Gecko is an expert at scaling the walls of the vivarium and sitting on top of the lighting. The male is pretty nifty at climbing too but not quite as enthusiatic about it as he prefers to laze about in the hide.

It's not a problem at all, just wondering if it's normal?

-> Next - I'm not sure whether they're eating too well. Now a few sites I have seen suggest that juveniles should be eating between 5 and 10 insects a day. I'm not putting that much into the viv (probably one or two, maybe three crickets a day) - but I can't see if they are being eaten because the crickets are just too damn good at playing hide and seek. Also - I've been informed that too many crickets distress the geckos and might even start nibbling. I put two waxworms in yesterday and one was eaten. I don't want to put more in as I know they're fattening.

Are there any tips for feeding crickets to the geckos? Any way to tell how many are still in there or any guide as to how many they should be eating?

-> And lastly - my viv shows as being around 80F core during the day and 74F during the night. There are so many different people saying so many different things about temperature. Do I have this right?????

Thank you ever so much for any help. I was so relieved when I found this forum!!!!

Gem

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: I'm brand new to this... So a few questi - kjustice, Fri Jun 3 12:55:06 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: I'm brand new to this... So a few questi - TBL, Fri Jun 24 19:49:12 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: I'm brand new to this... So a few questi - TBL, Fri Jun 24 19:52:57 2011