return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Where to buy an Egyptian?????

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: purduecg at Sun Jun 26 16:56:58 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by purduecg ]  

I have an Egyptian named Mosca that I bought from Lindsey Pike almost 7 years ago. He is 19 - 20 in long, and I have no idea how much he weighs, but you certainly know you are picking something up. I have enjoyed keeping him. I had heard that the Egyptians were somewhat "gentle giants", and tended to be friendlier than some of the other species. My experience is that the Mali I had previously was more interested in interaction, at least until recently, which isn't to say that Mosca is mean, he certainly isn't, he just preferred his own company. As he has gotten older he has settled down a bit, and will now come to the door to his enclosure to be pet for a minute or two before going to eat his dinner. Things such as taking him outside on a leash to get some sun have just not been possible. It has only been very recently that I have experimented with letting him wander my "lizard proofed" living room, which leads me to a word of warning.

If you have larger reptile experience then this is unnecessary, but if you don't, think very, very carefully about the percentage of your home you are willing to dedicate to your pet. People are often surprised at what a large terrarium he currently has, and I know that it should really be at least half again as large, if not twice as large as it currently is. Also, I have found that dealing with a reptile even as large as Mosca can be significantly more challenging than the Malis. Simply because the Egyptians are too big to secure with one or two hands. Mosca is STRONG, and on the occasion he and I disagree on goals (such as when the fire alarm goes off in my complex and I have to wake him up)he requires focus to coerce.

With all of that said though, I have gotten great enjoyment from Mosca and there are always new things to learn, tweak, and improve in his husbandry. Plus when I tell people what kind of pet I have, it is almost always a conversation starter - even among other reptile keepers.

Elizabeth
-----
1.0 Mali Uro Archimedes (May he rest in peace)
0.0.1 Egyptian Uro Zuberi Mosca Khu (Mosca)
0.0.1 Common Garden Snail
Madison, Wisconsin

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Uros and humidity - kriminaal, Wed Jun 8 08:31:03 2011
<< Previous topic:  Recent Ornate photo - lp, Fri Jun 3 13:06:31 2011