return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Pied Retics & Clarks Fire

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Reticulated Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Mystic1 at Sat Jun 18 04:02:31 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Mystic1 ]  

From Facebook:

I’M BACK! It’s been two weeks since the fire at my breeding facility we’re moving forward, assessing the losses, replacing what can be replaced and learning how to accept the loss of what can’t. These two weeks have been among the most difficult in my life. Animals that I’ve hatched, raised and worked with for years are gone now, b...abies that hatched this season and some animals that I consider pets perished in the fire. Most long term projects are intact but some key animals are gone. We’ve lost quite a bit of equipment and ultimately the building itself. On the positive side we’ve still got many animals and for the rest, everything is replaceable.

I live in tornado country. Countless times I’ve seen a guy on the evening news telling the reporter how lucky he is as he stands in the place where his house used to be. I never quite understood how somebody could say something like that. Today, I can look at my situation and be thankful that there was no loss of human life and that my business is still viable. In that sense, I am lucky. Could it have been worse? Yes! I am lucky. I’m also lucky, extremely fortunate really, to have so many good friends. Even before the sun came up the day of the fire my friends appeared on the scene. People were everywhere moving animals, shoveling, sweeping, cleaning and scrubbing. People came with supplies, people brought cold drinks and food for the other workers. It was hot, dirty, sweaty work. My friends worked all day and into the night. They came in the days that followed. They called to check on me and ask if there was anything else they could do. They offered to travel from across the country to help. I have many friends and they are good friends!

And then there is my family. Tireless workers. My children, their faces black with soot scrubbing that cage that just won’t get clean and my wife carrying that thing that’s a little too heavy for her. My mother, 80 years old next month, washing racks and bringing food and drinks to the rest. They organized pick up of dead animals, shopped for computers and office equipment, arranged for debris pick up, security and more. I AM LUCKY!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Pied Retics & Clarks Fire - KBuckler, Sat Jun 11 18:34:04 2011