return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: MITES AGAIN...WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Health & Breeding ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Sarge2004 at Tue Jun 21 07:22:40 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Sarge2004 ]  

Don't feel bad about this. I am treating my collection right now for a small mite infestation. Probably came in with a shipment of supplies from a large reptile supply company I recently received. I have not had mites for years.
Mites can be brought in by a new snake, rodents, cage furniture, and loose substrate-especially bark and mulch. That is one reason I keep snakes on newspaper. A trip to a reptile show or pet shop and mites will hitch a ride on even you. They are species specific and won't feed off humans but they are sure good at finding the snakes.

Mites have several life cycles or stages and their eggs can lay dormant for up to two years. The products you use are nice but not effective in irradicating mites. I also would not be oiling the snakes all the time. Get a can of Provent A Mite which will kill all mite stages including its eggs. The directions on the can must be followed exactly. I use Equate Beeding Spray from Walmart. Equate is $4 a can, Provent A Mite is $20. Equate is the exact same formula but does not come with directions for reptiles. Here are the directions:

1) NEVER directly spray the snake with Equat/PAM-that can kill the snake. The spray when dry is harmless to the snake.
2) Remove snake and water bowl from cage.
3) VERY lightly spray the substrate and cage furniture. I can't stress lightly enough as this is powerful stuff. Mites and other insects will die being just in the vicinity of Equate/PAM. Any live feeder insects or pet spiders must be removed from that room. No need to spray all over the cage or in crevases.
4) Let the spray dry completely-at least 30 minutes.
5) Place snake and water bowl back in cage.
6) Repeat process in two weeks and all your mites will be gone-until you bring in new ones.

Give the spray time to work and don't over do it. Equate/PAM is not an instant insect killer but works by dissolving the insect's exoskeleton and eggs. Killing the mite eggs is the key. Bill
-----
...three years ago it was just another snake cult...
The Retic is King.
Anacondas-the other Dark Side.
Afrocks-the dark side of the Dark Side.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  More.... - Sarge2004, Tue Jun 21 07:29:33 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: MITES AGAIN...WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???? - Oregonherpaholic, Thu Jun 23 23:28:18 2011

<< Previous Message:  MITES AGAIN...WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???? - Oregonherpaholic, Mon Jun 20 23:46:08 2011